Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Alvin and the Tamias striatus

First, a lesson on the Tamias striatus (aka. the Chipmunk) ...

This interesting little inhabitant of North America's eastern forests and fence rows is a favorite of young and old alike. Cottagers and campers have found that, if safeguarded, it soon becomes bold enough to accept food held out to it, much of which is hoarded for the future. Chipmunks construct extensive burrow systems, often more than 3.5 m in length and with one or more well-concealed entrances. In addition to the main chamber, blind storage tunnels are constructed to accommodate the winter food supply. The sleeping quarters are kept scrupulously clean -- shells and husks are stuffed away into refuse tunnels. Chipmunks eat a wide variety of seed, fruit, and nuts. They are also fond of corn and sunflower seeds. In the autumn they may store as much as seven litres of food for winter use. The scientific name, Tamias, means 'steward' in Latin. Preyed upon by hawks, foxes, and weasels, they may also fall victim to domestic cats.

Pops tried to teach me about these small native creatures of the woodland Northeast, but honestly, I could care less about burrow systems and the latin word for 'steward'... instead, I've been focusing lately on the mastery of Chipmunk language - courtesy of my guys, Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Dad says, find any child of the televised 80's, and you'll find someone whose Saturday morning cartoon expertise allows for them to easily sing the following in tune, "Ooo Eeee, Ooooo Ah Ah, Ching-Chang, Walla-Walla Bing Bang." I love that song! It's stuck in my mind all day, and with the news of an A&C-munk movie hitting theatres recently, I'm pumped for it's release on DVD.

In many ways, I consider myself similar to a chipmunk.

For instance, I'm definitely gettin fat. Mom keeps up with my need for regular feedings, and in doing so, I'm chubbing up real quick. Having crossed the 12lb. plateau at my last weigh-in, these rolls are just packing on... but it's all good. I figure I got a late start on preparing for winter hibernation, so news years resolution be foresaken, I'm happy getting pleasantly plump.

Mostly though, the Chipmunks are really helping me to learn my first foreign language.

Having now mastered the "Ooooh" and "Ehhh" sounds common for those my age, I'm quickly adopting harder consonent sounds like "Kah", "De", "Baah" and "Grr". I even rolled my first "R" (like in Margarrrrita) the other day (Mom's work). Much of my linguistic prowess is owed to Mom - she spends countless hours a day talking to me, encouraging interaction, and always flashes those pearly whites - to bring about my own smiles. Will give you another update on my talking once I string together a few syllables. In the interim, here's some new candids of me dressed in the traditional garb of Chulajuana and East Baltimore natives.


Seriously, is there anything redeeming about domesticated cats? I don't think so.



Stop Snitchin'

Note The Matching Ensemble and Seating

No comments: